Scarlets hold off 14-man Benetton

Scarlets hold off 14-man Benetton

Diving in at the corner: Gareth Davies of Scarlets

SCARLETS came from behind to defeat Benetton 38-29 in their Pro14 clash at Parc Y Scarlets yesterday, Saturday (Sep 16).

A red card for lock Irne Herbst due to dangerous play saw the visitors compete with 14 men for 55 minutes.

Scrum half Gareth Davies scored twice, with Kieron Fonotia, Johnny McNicholl, Ed Kennedy and Tom Prydie also crossing to secure the try bonus point. Leigh Halfpenny converted four of their six tries.

The Italians took the lead twice with tries from Nicola Quaglio, Simone Ferrari, Monte Ioane and Tommaso Allan however the Welsh region took full advantage of the extra player to retake control and the lead towards the final stages of the match.

In what was a fast opening 15 minutes, Davies scored the first of his brace in the 4th minute following a break from James Davies. Halfpenny converted.

Benetton hit right back with Quaglio driving over following good work from winger Ratuva Tavuyara. Allan was successful with the conversion.

Scarlets retook the lead just 2 minutes later when Fonotia finished off a break from Halfpenny, who missed the conversion.

Sent off: Lock Irne Herbst

A break from Iliesa Ratuva was finished off by Ferrari who went over from close range. A successful conversion from Allan meant Benetton regained the lead but their chances of a surprise win took a blow when Herbst saw red in the 26th minute after making contact with his forearm to the head of Samson Lee.

Scarlets took advantage of the extra man with Davies diving in the corner for his second try of the evening.

But to the surprise of the home crowd, the Italians managed to build a 26-17 lead when Ioane and Allan both touched down.

We Provide A FREE Local News Service

Help Support Local News today Thank You


Benetton were then reduced to 13 men after hooker Hame Faiva was sin-binned for a high tackle on Johnny McNicholl.

Shortly afterwards McNicholl managed to squeeze in at the corner with Halfpenny converting from the touchline.

The lead changed once more when flanker Kennedy managed to roll over the line for his sides 5th try, Halfpenny was once again on target with the boot.

Just in: Tom Prydie touches down

Allan slotted a penalty kick to bring his side to within striking distance, but with the final play of the game winger Prydie managed to tap the ball down just inside the goal area after collecting a cross-field kick from substitute Sam Hidalgo-Clyne. Halfpenny nailed the conversion.

Final score: Scarlets 38 – 29 Benetton

Man of the match: Blade Thomson (Scarlets)

The Scarlets will now travel to The Sportsground when they face Connacht next Saturday (Sep 22) kick off: 5:15pm.

News - Newyddion Sport - Chwaraeon