ON Monday, 22nd February, crews from Gorseinon and Morriston attended a fire at a property in the Manselton area of Swansea.
The fire had originated from a chip pan and was confined to the kitchen area of the property.
The fire had been extinguished before the arrival of the Fire Service, yet crews carried out an inspection of the property using a thermal imaging camera and administered first aid to a male casualty.
The property was also ventilated using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
The Fire Service left the incident at 09:03pm.
Station Manager Neil Evans, Deputy Head of Community Safety for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said:
“We are now spending more time at home and cooking for our families more than we would be in normal circumstances.
It is great that families are cooking and eating together but we are experiencing an increase in kitchen fires and urge people to cook safely and not to use chip pans as they pose a very high risk of fires.
If you own a chip pan, then throw it away. There are safer options to frying your food, such as investing in a new deep fat fryer or an air fryer.
By throwing away your chip pan you will greatly reduce the risk of fire to your property.
However, in the dreadful event of a fire, a working smoke alarm can mean the difference between life and death by alerting everyone in the property to get out of the property, stay out and phone the Fire Service on 999.”
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service advises those who do choose to use a deep fat fryer to heed the following advice:
Never fill a chip pan more than a third full of oil.
Never leave your cooking unattended, even if the phone or doorbell rings. Remember – fires start when your attention stops.
If the oil starts to smoke don’t put the food in. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
Dry food before putting it in (water can make the oil explode).
Test the temperature with a small piece of bread or potato. If it crisps quickly, the oil is hot enough.
Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat.
For further Home Fire Safety advice or to talk about the possibility of a Safe and Well Visit by Fire and Rescue Service personnel, please phone us on 0800 169 1234. Alternatively please complete an online Request a Safe and Well Visit form on the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service website: