Thursday, October 6, 2022
MAWWFRS offer home fire safety advice

MAWWFRS offer home fire safety advice

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) are offering home fire safety advice as part of the National Fire Chiefs Council’s (NFCC’s) Home Safety Week 2018.

The campaign runs from the 1 – 7 October and aims to remind members of the public the importance of having working home detection systems (Smoke, Carbon Monoxide and Heat) in the home.

Burning gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood can all produce carbon monoxide.  Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste or smell. Fuel burning appliances such as stoves, fires, boilers and water heaters can produce carbon monoxide if they are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained, or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Steve Davies Deputy Head of Community Safety advises the public;

“Too many people die needlessly or become seriously ill because of carbon monoxide poisoning each year; early symptoms can easily be mistaken for flu or tiredness.  He continued, “Carbon monoxide is produced when certain fuels are not properly burnt. This includes gas, oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke and wood. Carbon monoxide can also seep into properties via shared flues or chimneys and can even permeate through brick walls and plaster.  It is vital that you know what signs to look out for.”

You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if:

  • Your fuel burning appliance was incorrectly or badly installed
  • Your appliance has not been safety checked and serviced annually
  • Your chimney or flue is blocked or has not been swept regularly
  • There is no audible carbon monoxide alarm fitted and working in your home

Steps to keep your household safe

  • Fit an audible alarm and test it regularly
  • Service your appliances
  • Don’t block ventilation

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to be aware of are:

We Provide A FREE Local News Service

Help Support Local News today Thank You

  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of Consciousness

Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

Please click on the link below to find out more about Carbon Monoxide Safety.

MAWWFRS offers free safe and well checks to anyone who would like advice on Home Fire Safety, which includes the fitting and installation of smoke alarms where required.

Please click on the link below to find out more about Fire Safety in the home.​

Click To Donate

You May Have Missed

You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: