Lorry still stuck below main road after two months

A LORRY remains stuck in a river below a main road in Carmarthenshire two months after it was swept down there during a severe storm.

Removal equipment can’t extricate the lorry yet because the section of the A484 above is not stable enough to support it.

Carmarthenshire Council, which is responsible for the road, has been in discussions with the owner of the sloping land beside the road and other organisations to resolve the problem.

Although moves to create a safe area for clearance and construction work will start in the week before Christmas, the road will remain closed for weeks.

Ruth Mullen, the council’s director of environment, said: “While our primary focus has always been to ensure the safety of the public, we are mindful of the impact this has on local residents and commuters and therefore we continue to seek the re-opening of the highway as early as possible, although this will only happen once the area is safe.

“This includes removal of debris on the upper slope, drainage and re-grading works before any work can commence on the highway below.”

Investigations have taken place to ensure the embankment above the road can be made stable, and this has included drainage and tree works.

The lorry ended up in the river during the height of Storm Callum on Saturday, October 13. Tragically, a 21-year-old man died that night at the spot in question after being struck by a landslide.

BBC Wales reported that the man, Corey Sharpling, of Newcastle Emlyn, had been standing in the road after a fallen tree had blocked the bus he had been on.

Geoff Goodbourn, of Cwmduad, said the death of the 21-year-old was “very sad”.

Mr Goodbourn said villagers now just wanted the road to reopen as soon as possible.

He said travelling south from Cwmduad involved a 10-mile detour.

“It is a nuisance,” he said.

Mr Goodbourn said cranes have gone past his house on the A484 to the landslide site, but that it appeared they have been unable to safely extend their stabilisers. He also said lorries had taken trees away.

“I live next to the road, and the one good thing is that it’s very quiet,” he said.

Mr Goodbourn said a post office van still came to Cwmduad for an hour every Tuesday lunchtime, as normal, which enabled villagers to buy stamps and do other Post Office transactions.

Traffic will continue to be diverted along the B4333 until the A484 is reopened, and additional bus services remain in place.

Ms Mullen added: “We would like to thank the community and users of the A484 and B4333 for their patience and understanding.”

Arabic Arabic English English Irish Irish Polish Polish Romanian Romanian Scottish Gaelic Scottish Gaelic Turkish Turkish Welsh Welsh
You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: