THE first outdoor blue plaque for Burry Port has been unveiled at an event held today, Saturday (Mar 23).
The plaque is for George Bowser, who was regarded as one of the finest pioneers and industrialists in the towns history.
Mayor of Pembrey and Burry Port Bob John gave a speech next to the plaque, which is situated near the town’s rugby club.
Guests were then invited to the Burry Port British Royal Legion club for refreshments and a history lesson of George Bowser and the work that he did.
Members of Mr Bowser’s were in attendance along with town and county councillors John James and Amanda Fox.
George Bowser, originally from Middlesex, moved to Burry Port in the late 18th century and became involved in coal mining, tramways and canals.
In 1816, Bowser and three other partners took a lease of land from Lord Ashburnham in order to build and operate the Pembrey Harbour.
It is one of many plaques that the Burry Port and Pembrey Heritage Group have planned for the town, with members of the public offered the opportunity to come forward with any new suggestions. Plaques cost approximately £300.
Speaking to Llanelli Online, Graham Davies, the coordinator of the Heritage Group said: “A lot of people in the town don’t know about the early history.
“We have set up this program to flag up the industrial history and it is a way to remind people of the key figures who came to the Burry Port and Pembrey area.
“A number of organisations have helped fund the project such as the Historical Society and Pembrey and Burry Port Town Council.”