Thursday, December 8, 2022
Burry Port man fined £120 for burglary and assaulting an emergency worker

Burry Port man fined £120 for burglary and assaulting an emergency worker

A MAN who broke into a house by smashing a glass door was arrested after blood at the scene linked him to the crime.

When Dyfed-Powys Police responded to a report of a burglary at Tirwaun in Burry Port on October 6, they found the house in darkness, with a substantial amount of blood on the walls and floor throughout the downstairs of the property and up the staircase.

It was uncertain at an early stage if items had been taken from the house, and the offender had left the scene.

Early enquiries established that a neighbouring property had CCTV cameras covering the street.

Temporary Detective Sergeant Ellen Jones said: “We were provided with CCTV footage of two men carrying what appeared to be a globe shaped item down the road.
“The victim had confirmed she owned a globe, which wasn’t present at the house, so enquiries immediately commenced to identify these men, who were now suspects.”

Checks were carried out at hospitals in the area due to the amount of blood at the scene. These proved negative.
In the meantime, DNA samples were taken from the blood at the scene, and compared to individuals that officers had identified as potential suspects. However there was no match.

Two months later, on December 7, officers were called to Llys y Llyfrgell in Burry Port, to a report that a man had cut his face and hand with glass.
On arrival, they found Mark Trevor Day covered with a significant amount of blood and acting aggressively.

“He assaulted an officer by pushing his chest, catching him off-balance, and was verbally abusive towards our colleagues while they were trying to ensure he was safe,” T/DS Jones said.

“He was taken to hospital for his injuries to be assessed, and was later arrested on suspicion of assaulting an officer.”

DNA from swabs of blood found at the scene of the burglary were analysed, and found to be a match with Day.

The 49-year-old was charged with assaulting an emergency worker and burglary and was remanded to appear at court.

He was sentenced at court on December 9 to a community order, a rehabilitation requirement, was fined £120, must pay compensation of £100, costs of £85 and a victim surcharge of £95.


You May Have Missed

You are in breach of copyright
%d bloggers like this: