THE way in which an editor of a newspaper has treated journalists, photographers and local communities has been branded as ‘outrageous’ by the National Union of journalists (NUJ).

It is claimed that Thomas Sinclair, editor of the Herald newspapers  owes thousands of pounds to former staff .

In an article on the BBC website today, Wednesday (Mar 27) Michelle Stanistreet, NUJ general secretary, said: “The Herald has treated its journalist absolutely appallingly. Having to go through the courts to try and seek redress for wages they are owed, for work they have created and produced, in and of itself is disgusting.

“But the fact that despite court judgements they haven’t actually been paid what is due to them is particularly repugnant.”

It is claimed that Tom Sinclair, who runs The Herald in west Wales, has defied court orders to repay more than £70,000 to creditors.

In the article Mr Sinclair said he “made mistakes” but insisted those he owed money to would be repaid.

Mr Sinclair also said that he had secured new investment that would allow him to repay everybody – including six former employees – within six months.

Hold the Front Page also ran an article on Thomas Sinclair and it can be read here.

BBC Wales aired an interview by Huw Thomas the arts and media correspondent with Sinclair in which he says: “Bad businessman, Yes I’ve been a bad businessman. I have done things wrong. I have made mistakes but every day I wake up and learn something new and then we move forward. That’s how it works.”

Sinclair responded to a previous article ‘Journalist wins £6,500 court claim twice – but publisher still refuses to pay’  in Hold The Front Page by David Sharman. The article reads:  However Thomas, who edits the Carmarthenshire, Llanelli and Pembrokeshire Herald titles, claims the notice for the second hearing was also sent to the wrong address and says he will challenge that decision too.

He denied that the group owes Alan the money and said it was “unaware” of the dates any hearings had been due to take place.

He said: “We wrote to the court and applied for the judgement to be set aside and were awaiting a court date for the hearing. Unfortunately, due to an error by the court, they again sent the hearing notice to the wrong address.

“General manager Mathew Rickard contacted the court [on Tuesday] to find out why it was taking so long to find out when the hearing was, only to be told that it had already taken place on Monday.

“We are now in the process of arranging a new hearing date with the court and this time, we should be notified of the hearing. We are 100pc confident that once we actually get into court, Mr Evans’ ridiculous claim will be struck out.”

 

, , ,
Similar Posts
Latest Posts from Llanelli Online