​MID and West Wales Fire & Rescue Service are supporting Gas Safety Week which takes place from 17 – 23 September 2018.

Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.

Jonathan Samuel, Managing Director for Gas Safe Register, said:

“It’s great to have the support of Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service this Gas Safety Week. By working together, we can reach more people and help to reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in the homes of the UK’s 23 million gas consumers.

“We know from our own investigations that around one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe, meaning far too many people are victims of preventable gas related incidents.”

Reach out to those who need help keeping gas safe at home by following these top tips:

Help them to sign up to a free annual gas safety check reminder service at www.staygassafe.co.uk. You could even sign up on their behalf, so the reminder is sent to you each year

Make them aware of the signs that an unsafe gas appliance may cause:

A lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame; soot or staining on or around the appliance; excess condensation in the room

Carbon monoxide (CO) has no smell, taste or colour. The symptoms of CO poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness, which can easily be mistaken for something else

Make sure they know to ‘Trust the Triangle’ by asking to see their engineer’s Gas Safe ID card and checking it to make sure the engineer is covered to check or fit the appliance in question.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

Please click on the link below to find out more about Carbon Monoxide Safety.

http://www.mawwfire.gov.uk/English/Safety/At-Home/Pages/Carbon-Monoxide-Safety.aspx

Landlords are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants. Landlords should make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you’re a landlord, you are legally obliged to make sure:

Pipe-work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.

All appliances and flues provided for tenants use have an annual safety check. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.

Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by an engineer registered with Gas Safe Register.

All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.

A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.

You keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record for two years.

Before any gas work is carried out always check the engineers ID card and make sure the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing. Encourage your tenants to do the same. 

If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24 hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.

To find out about dangers in your area visit www.StayGasSafe.co.uk and to find a Gas Safe registered engineer call 0800 408 5500 or visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk.​

, , ,
Similar Posts
Latest Posts from Llanelli Online