One of the most beautiful landmarks in Kidwelly has gone on the open market for £135,000. The independent chapel on Bridge Street, which sits beside the river has a long history.
The Chapel derives it’s name from a nearby well called ‘Ffynnon Sul’ that was named after a Welsh prince named ‘Benisel’.The property is situated in the centre of Kidwelly on the banks of the Gwendraeth Fach river, adjacent to the old Kidwelly town bridge.The original property was built in 1862 as a substantial imposing private Gentleman’s Residence and afforded 12 bedrooms over three floors with at lower ground floor level extensive vaulted cellars with a Well that was designed by the architect Thomas W Angell Evans who was also the first occupier and who subsequently became Mayor of Kidwelly in 1883. The property was named Rumsey House after his mother’s family home in Calne, Wiltshire.The property was purchased by the congregation of the old Capel Sul which had become too small in 1924 and was converted to a Chapel by 1926.
The chapel is listed for sale on http://www.mouseprice.com and marketed by Gerald Vaughan Estate Agents.
It is described as “A substantial Listed imposing independent Chapel premises occupying large grounds of just under half an acre. Situated at the centre of the historical estuarial township of Kidwelly that is renowned for it’s Castle within walking distance of the recreational ground, Primary School and Railway Station, enjoying ease of access to all local amenities and which in turn is located just off the A484 trunk road, midway the County town of Carmarthen and town of Llanelli which are some 9 and 7 miles distant respectively. The property enjoying ease of access to Ffos Las Racecourse, Pembrey Country Park and the Motor Sport Centre at Pembrey. Applicants may be interested to note that Town & Country Planning – present use of the building is in D1 of the Use Classes Order as a place of Worship. This would also permit other community uses including clinics, surgeries, creches, day nurseries and consulting rooms.Alternatively, in light of it’s position within the town and subject to the necessary Planning consents being obtained is ripe for re-development.”