WE are currently experiencing a shortage of GPs to cover the Out of Hours service in Carmarthenshire this weekend. Efforts are continuing until the last possible moment to fill the shifts affected, which are on Saturday night in Glangwili Hospital, and from Sunday afternoon to Monday morning in Prince Philip Hospital only. We would like to emphasise that this position may improve and in the meantime, there are other services that can help you if you are unwell:
- for health information and advice, including online symptom checkers, please visit NHS Direct Wales: www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk
- call 111 – they can help to signpost you to the right service, for example a GP, nurse, pharmacist or Minor Injury Unit, they also provide health information on a wide range of conditions for self care if appropriate
- attend a minor injury unit, available at Glangwili, Prince Philip Hospital and Llandovery
- use your community pharmacy, some of these have enhanced services like ‘triage and treat’ for treatment of minor conditions
- ONLY in an emergency for serious or life-threatening conditions should you dial 999
Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Operations Joe Teape said: “We have recently seen a significant improvement in staffing the GP Out of Hours rota, however we are unfortunately continuing to experience GP shortages from time to time. I would like to apologise for any concern or inconvenience caused to Carmarthenshire residents this weekend; we know that all of our staff and GPs are working really hard to provide safe services for our patients and we appreciate this.
“The public’s health is our number one priority and although we sometimes cannot achieve everything that we want to achieve, we are doing our utmost to ensure that we can continue to provide services that are safe and robust for our local communities.”