PEMBREY Country Park will welcome hundreds of club runners from all four corners of Wales to another major athletics event this weekend.
The 115th George Crump MBE Memorial Welsh Athletics Cross Country Championships returns to West Wales on Saturday (Feb 23) in an event which will incorporate Primary Schools Challenge for under 11 as well as races for all ages and abilities.
Over the last few years, the Welsh Athletics Championships has been held at Singleton Park in Swansea and now it will head further West into Carmarthenshire.
Frank Morgan (Carmarthen Harriers); Neisha Roberts (Deeside AAC); Mike Spill (Menai Track & Field); Samia Jones (Menai Track & Field); Bronwen Owen (Scarborough AC); Iwan Thomas (Carmarthen Harriers); Erin Morgan (Carmarthen Harriers); Larry Ryan (Cardiff AAC); Abi Fisher (Cardiff AAC); Dominic Smith (Swansea Harriers) and James Hunt (Cardiff AAC) all won their respective age groups the last time out in February 2018.
The event will use a fast and looping course of the park which will offer great spectator friendly racing. The venue will provide both interesting and testing terrain and the course will be set up to international standards.
This is an exciting time for endurance running in Wales and while this event has seen increasing numbers in recent years, it is hoped that the 2019 event will see that increase continue by welcoming many of the stars of the sport from the West, East, South and North.
The venue has already hosted three Gwent League cross country matches over the last three years with the course winning praise from participants.
It will be positioned in the same location of the park near to the Closed Cycling Circuit. The start and finish will be on the very same field with runners on the large lap passing Ski Pembrey before returning the same direction.
- Under 13 Boys / Bechgyn O Dan 13 (11:00am) 3,150m
- Under 13 Girls / Merched O Dan 13 (11.15am) 3,150m
- Under 15 Boys / Bechgyn O Dan 15 (11.30am) 4,540m
- Under 15 Girls / Merched O Dan 15 (11.50am) 4,540m
- Senior Women/Masters / Menywod (12:15pm) 7,360m
- Primary Boys / Bechgyn Cynradd (1:10pm) 1,550m
- Primary Girls / Merched Cynradd (1:25pm) 1,550m
- Under 17 Men / Bechgyn O Dan 17 (1:40pm) 5,150m
- Under 17/20 Women / Merched O Dan 17 a 20 (2:05pm) 5,150m
- Under 20 Men / Bechgyn O Dan 20 (2:35pm) 7,360m
- Senior Men/Masters / Dynion (3:10pm) 10,350m
The course map for the 23rd can be found at http://www.welshathletics.org/media/1418622/welsh-cross-country-championships-2019-map.pdf
Read the full report, race results and see the photos on Llanelli Online within 24 hours after the championships have concluded.