ON Saturday (Aug 25) the 52nd Blue Plaque erected by Llanelli Community Heritage was unveiled in Island Place, Llanelli. The plaque commemorates the site of the first purpose-built chapel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the UK.
The Chapel was dedicated for worship in 1849 by one Dan Jones, a missionary for the Church and a prolific writer in both Welsh and English in support of the Faith.
The plaque was unveiled by retired Professor of Portuguese and Welsh, Dr Ronald Dennis. He is the great, great grandson of Dan Jones and lives in Utah, USA. He is in the country not only as part of a tour visiting places of historic interest but also earlier in the month he was inducted into the Gorsedd of Bards at the National Eisteddfod, Cardiff for his contribution to 19th Century Welsh History http://welshmormon.byu.edu/.
Dignitaries from both Llanelli and Carmarthenshire councils were present together with members of the Latter-Day Saint and Elim Church, who used the Chapel in later years.